Saturday, April 16, 2011

Are Identical Twins Hereditary?

My Mammaw Borders was an identical twin.  Her and her sister were nicknamed Jerry & Jo.  According to Mammaw, "Our nicknames came from Geraldine and Geovana.  Mother always said
Dad wanted a boy, so the Jo and Jerry helped to satisfy him I suppose."  They were born at seven months and Aunt Jo arrived fifteen minutes before Mammaw.  My Grandmother delivered the girls by natural birth at home.  (I'm starting to feel even more grateful for my 2011 pregnancy).  Mammaw said back then they didn't have incubators so Grandma had to keep them wrapped up in blankets and warm at all times even though it was June. 

They quickly became the talk of the small town.  Grandma told Mammaw that people would ride by the house very slowly to get a glimpse of the girls playing in the front yard.  Grandma dressed the girls alike until they were 16 years old.  Pop wanted it that way, but it didn't bother the girls.  At 16 they went to the University of KY as freshman and at that time began wearing what they wanted.  When looking at family photos they were always dressed to the "Nines."  My Grandma actually made most of their clothes.  I wish I had that talent.


Mammaw shared her feelings on being an identical twin.  "There is no way anyone can understand the bond we shared.  Even though we had our own independence, we always knew we belonged to each other.  I never remember anything I disliked about being a twin.  I was [an identical twin] and there was never a question about what I was-just like you are born short and that is your individuality."  When reading this I teared up.  I hope that our babies share this same attitude, bond, and love.  How special! 

Growing up, Mammaw would always tell us grandchildren that one of us would have twins.  The old wives tell is that twins skip a generation.  The week before I went to the doctor on 2/25 I was talking to my cousin Brittany about the pregnancy and she playfully said, "You know it could be me or you that have twins."  Fast forward to my phone call to her a week later with the news.  Quickly she celebrated and was yelling, "Yes!  I'm so happy it's you and not me."  Now she has been added to my daily prayers to have twins. 

The hubby & I have both researched if identical twins are hereditary.  We discovered that research says fraternal twins can be hereditary but identical twins are not.  Scientists say that fraternal twins can be hereditary due to the fact that a woman may produce more eggs during her ovulation.  However, scientists haven't really identified and confirmed a clear cause for monozygotic twinning.  It seems to be a random event.  About 3 in 1000 pregnancies result in identical twins and all parents have a reasonably equal chance of conceiving them.  Just yesterday at work, a co-worker said on Good Morning America they had a special about twins.  They said it's a 1% chance to have identical twins.  She said she even rewound the tv because she didn't think she heard it right.  On the show they had a lady who had quadruplets.  Follow closely-she conceived two fraternal babies then both of those eggs split.  Therefore, she had (at once) two sets of identical twins.  In case you're wondering two girls and two boys.  In her case, she knew multiples were a possibility since she was on fertility drugs; however the eggs splitting is unpredictable and unknown.  Our doctor told us about instances like hers when we had our first visit. 

My last question to Mammaw was if her and Aunt Jo ever fought over boys.  She replied, "Never fought over boys.  I really didn't like any of her boyfriends and she always had one.  I kinda liked to play hard to get but sometimes that would backfire on me.  Well I ended up with the BEST one God ever made anyway."  As most of you know I am extremely close to my Mammaw and was close to my Pappaw too while he walked the earth.  I still talk to him and find comfort that he is always there to listen.  Like I've told them both before, I have and will always carry them with me.  They will always be in my heart.  I know that my Pappaw would have really gotten a kick out of me having twins.  I can see him grinning from ear to ear and saying "Well that's just something."  He would have been proud.  I wish I could have a picture of him in his chair holding both of the babies.  This definitely brings on tears.  However, I know my babies have the sweetest angel looking over them.  My Mammaw & Pappaw  have always been my rock and have always been role models to me.  Their unconditional love and support along with my parents were my saving grace.  To know Mammaw was an identical twin and that I'm carrying identical twins makes me feel even closer to her. Despite what the Scientists say Leslie Cochran says that this may not be just a coincidence. 

It does put in perspective that the relationship I share with my Mammaw will be what my children share with their Meme (my mom), Nana (Cochran's mother), and Gamey (Tammy).  I am so thankful they have three strong, beautiful, loving, funny, and supportive women to be their best friend and role model too.

I don't want anyone of you to get jealous but Mammaw and the babies are already pen pals.  They write to one another several times during the week.  I have saved some of their correspondence (you know proud mom's collect their children's keepsakes).  I will share a few of their conversations in the next blog.  I think it's pretty sweet but I'm partial. 

I LOVE YOU MAMMAW!!!!!!

XOXO,

Leslie Pooh

No comments:

Post a Comment